Sunday 3 February 2013

Buried


I heard about the concept for Buried and was immediately dubious about the concept. A film shot entirely in a 5/6ft whatever" set? Surely not! Surely a film needs locations and visual variety in order to be successful?

Now, I'm not going pretend this is the greatest film I've seen, because that, my friends, would be lying. But they have most definitely smashed my dubiousness into smithereens. The way this film works is by the power of suggestion and most films now do depend too much on plating up every bit of information, so this was a refreshing change.

Being completely central to the protagonist, Paul, the performance of Ryan Reynolds is key to the brilliance of this film. It isn't over-done in terms of dialogue. We have no reliance on cheesy internal monologues. No, you're forced to relate to Paul through his panic-ridden expression and actions.

I think if you are willing to watch this film with an open mind, then it's a thrilling watch. For sure a brave concept to pull off, which wasn't ruined by poor execution. I thoroughly enjoyed it as something outside of your multi-character, multi-setting film and as something that couldn't be easily replicated.

On a slight side note - How amazing is the poster for this film?! Very Vertigo.


8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment