Wednesday 12 September 2012

Submarine


Submarine, the film debut for director/actor Richard Ayoade (The IT Crowd, The Watch) is the quirky coming-of-age story of teenage outcast, Oliver Tate. The awkwardness of the characters and the situations are reminiscent of most peoples' time at high school, and I think that's why this film has so much charm. We've all been there, or at least know someone who has - Family issues, awkward first relationships, having too much time to think about things e.t.c.

It features some of the most interesting dry and odd humour I've seen in a film, which is propelled by the fantastic cast. Oliver is played by young star, Craig Roberts and is perfect for the role of the awkwardly relatable teen. You might know him from TV series Being Human, but he will always be the rebellious boy from Tracy Beaker to me!

The voice-over style narrative of this film, along with Oliver's monotone voice, reminds me very much of A Clockwork Orange, with "ultraviolent" Alex. Although I think at parts, this was over used in places where it wasn't needed. I think I would have liked to have seen a bit more conversation. This is just me being picky.



Submarine is definitely a refreshing change to the normal money-churning Blockbuster, without being too abstract and pretentious. Also beautifully shot and easy on the eye.

Fully recommend that you give this a watch! Plus the DVD came with these brilliant art cards, which I'm loving.


No comments:

Post a Comment